Cardano wallet comparison

EDIT1: Renamed ccvault to Eternl.
EDIT2: Added GeroWallet.
EDIT3: Added Typhon Wallet.

People are often asking what the differences between the numerous Cardano wallets are. I’ve used some of them so here’s my impressions:

1. Daedalus:
Pros:

• Full node wallet (fastest transactions, best security).
  • Easy to delegate ADA to a staking pool.
  • Catalyst voting registration option.
  • Frequently updated, good support.

Cons:

• Desktop application with steep hardware requirements.
  • Requres synchronized every time you open it (takes a lot of time before usable).
  • Cannot connect to dApps (yet).
  • Doesn’t display token and NFT images.

What I use it for: when I need to make a transaction asap - ICOs, limited minting events, etc.
Other: only had problems when using it with HW wallets (a HW wallet needs to be plugged in before running Daedalus).

2. Eternl/ccvault:
Pros:

• dApp connector.
  • Option for staking into multiple pools.
  • Tokens and NFTs are categorized and displayed.
  • Frequently updated, good support, great community.

Cons:

• Web wallet (transactions can get queued in mem pools when traffic is high).
  • A lot of info, options and settings might be discouraging to a new user.

What I use it for : for all casual transactions (for most dApps, DEXes).
Other: You can actually pass the web wallet mem pools by connecting it to Deadalus (setting “Custom Submit API Endpoint”). But that is inconvenient for several reasons, so I use the Load Balancer provided by Freeloaderz: https://www.freeloaderz.io/. Works like a charm and never had any issues.
Also worth mentioning is that there are two versions of the wallet, a web app and a browser extension. They look completely the same but only the browser extension can be used with dApps. Can be really confusing for a new user.

3. Nami:
Pros:

• Looks similar to Metamask.
  • Neat and simple to use UI.
  • dApp connector.

Cons:

• Browser extension wallet (transactions can get queued in mem pools when traffic is high).
  • Delegate ADA to a staking pool through pool.pm which can be confusing.
  • Single address wallet (messes with wallet restoration).
  • No Catalyst voting registration option.

What I use it for : when other wallets are not available.
Other: Just like ccvault, you can bypass the mem pools by setting Custom Node Network with Daedalus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-WDEaSnaWU) or Freeloaderz. Most issues come with not setting the collateral before using dApps. Other than that, never had problems.

4. Yoroi:
Pros:

• dApp connector.

Cons:

• Slow even for a web wallet.
  • Doesn’t display token and NFT images.

What I use it for : only for backup, in case other wallets wouldn’t work.
Other: Despite having dApp connector, not many projects integrate Yoroi. I also didn’t find any options for Daedalus/Freeloaderz node connection. Never had any problems, except with very slow loading when the network or mem pools are congested.

5. GeroWallet:
Pros:

• Looks similar to Metamask.
  • dApp connector (but not many apps support it).
  • Tokens and NFTs are displayed.
  • Will have an integrated DEX in the future.

Cons:

• Browser extension wallet (transactions can get queued in mem pools when traffic is high).
  • Single address wallet (messes with wallet restoration).
  • No Catalyst voting registration option.
  • No option for setting Custom Node.

What I use it for : as backup and for possible future app interaction.
Other: No Custom Node and small number of apps that can be used with Gero make it less useful than other wallets.

6. Typhon Wallet:
Pros:

• dApp connector.
  • Option for multiple accounts.
  • Can be displayed in a web page or with browser extension.
  • Frequently updated, good support.

Cons:

• No option for Custom Load Balancer.
  • Not compatible with many dApps.

What I use it for : for casual transactions.
Other: Possibly the best looking wallet on Cardano, but with less options than Etern.

31 Likes

Yoroi App for iOS not opening anymore for quite some days already.

8 Likes

@MauricioY Yeah, Yoroi really feels abandoned sometimes. Hope other wallets can take over.

3 Likes

@Warhead Thank you so much for your very concise and informative breakdown of the various wallets. I appreciate the time you spent to help educate new users to the wallets and uses.

3 Likes

I hope Ergo launches a desktop, then a mobile dApp connector. Sentiment would change overnight. There would be a mass migration back to Yoroi.

1 Like

Your wallet is your key to the Cardano blockchain. Nami, Yoroi, Daedulus etc. are all doors to the blockchain. Your keys can be used on any of these doors.

6 Likes

Hi! great summup! I’ve been using Yoroi and Nami - like both but due to the differences in speed and updating I like to keep yoroi as my “hodl bag” and Nami as my fast transaction/dapp interaction tool. Lately, however, Gero Wallet has been a fantastic surprise. Had the extension version of it for quite some time, but felt resistant to using it because not many protocols interacted with it. Today, I would say it’s basically substituting the Nami wallet. It has a fantastic UI, focuses on security, allows me to create several wallets/adresses within it and is exploding with partnerships due to the cardano defi alliance. It integrates LP tokens, NFTs and several delegations to different staking pools pretty well. Waiting for the mobile version though - heard its coming soon.

6 Likes

Typhon Wallet is brand spanking new. Anyone have a chance with it yet? Nice UI / UX that seems to deliver the must have checklist. Also if you want to avoid the hassle of mempool congestion give https://submit.adaph.io/ a shot. Comparable tx to Daedalus. Super cool community initiative.

4 Likes

Good write up of your experience with those wallets. I use multiple wallets to fulfill my needs when it comes to staking and trading.

I’d definitely add Flint Wallet into the Mix, they got a good team behind that wallet.

3 Likes

@Warhead Now you need to change CCVault for Eternl XD haha

5 Likes

@Kha Yeah, just noticed that they rebranded. I’m not sure I like it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

ccvault ,well eternl wallet now, is my go to wallet and I believe they will update the wallet to be more user friendly

3 Likes

its nice to me tbh. Shows me how serious the devs are in making it the best go to wallet

2 Likes

I use Yoroi and Nami. No problems so far. Thank you for the info

4 Likes

ive been using daedalus and nami. my favorite is daedalus, but nami is needed to deal with SS and MIN, unfortunately, hence necessary. @Warhead

2 Likes

Many people don’t understand that a software wallet is a key-management ‘interface’ to the blockchain.

5 Likes

CCvault wins, overall, so far for me! Especially after the rebranding!

2 Likes

Ive downloaded it. Yet to put anything in it or import a wallet. Gonna try tho, need an alternative for mobile, other than Yoroi.

1 Like

I’ve been using Nami, CCVault, Yoroi, and Adalite. I like different things about each of them. But overall I think I’ve liked Adalite best.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, I’ve tested the linked load balacer. Works great, and with the same speed as freeloaderz I was using before.

3 Likes