How to ensure that people participating in the DAO have the understanding of the protocol to take decisions?

Well it is not possible right now, may be in a distant future but here is an example of one of the ways in which it might be possible.
If there are some decentralized education and certification organizations, you can term them DEO, and then there are digital Identification solutions, Indigo can launch a certification program on such a DEO and after successfully completion of the course a Certification in the form of an NFT is issued which is linked to your digital ID (so that you can not just buy that NFT).
Any one holding this NFT can vote for the proposals according to the no of INDY tokens held by that person.

24 Likes

Sounds like a business opportunity you should investigate in starting up

2 Likes

It’s a great idea but it will be hard to make a process that don’t limit participation too much, not only for the requirement but for the process itself. You can have someone that understand the protocol but just don’t want to bother with the process and losing that vote, we all lose. This can end in concentrating decision power. Still, making sure people are making educated decision for the protocol is crucial. It’s going to be fun figure these things out.

4 Likes

Yes it is hard. I am thinking about 5-10 years from now when digital identities are fully established and we have decentralized education.

2 Likes

Yes sir. sounds interesting and promising

Creating more hurdles to vote means even less people will take their time to actually vote, so I just disagree with anything that would ever prevent that.

1 Like

Yes sounds good though but we have to see the implemention in future

That is an interesting idea about experience certificates in the for of NFTs

1 Like

This would certainly increase the quality of the votes but quantity is also a key part of decentralization. Maybe not make it mandatory but set up a way to offer a small reward for participation?

2 Likes

it s a good idea. but saying that, it should be as simple as to be certified in this forum.

2 Likes

I like the idea, but how about instead of taking away uncertified votes, we allow everyone to vote but give certified voters a little more weight. Uncertified vote is 1.0 per INDY, Certified vote is 1.15 per INDY or something like that. This way all votes count but there is more influence by those who are certifiably more knowledgeable. Also, the certification shouldn’t be bizarre or too difficult, really just showing a basic understanding of concepts and ethos.

2 Likes

Why do you think that this is not possible right now? Is it the notion of being able to connect identity with credential and wallet? To game it out I can see why you would need to have that connection so someone didn’t just sell their credential for someone else to have increased voting rights.

2 Likes

I agree. I think this is already happening in a way, but there may be some way to ensure credentials without simply selling the NFT (Restricted to sell or transfer). I am not well versed with NFT’s, but I am sure this could all be worked out and agreed upon by a community.

2 Likes

Maybe make some form, let people read that form to have basic understanding, when done with reading that maybe they should put some basic questions, like some multiple choice or what ever that you have to answer before being able to put a vote

1 Like

I totally agree. We want to make it easier to vote and not make it overly complex.

I see what you are getting at and I think it is a good idea, but that it needs to be worked on some. We definitely do not want people with no education in synthetics participating in governance, but at the same time we don’t want to prevent knowledgeable people who simply do not want to go through this type of process to prove themselves.

I would hope that in the start or launch that it would be left 100% up to the current developers and founders as they have the clearest understanding, but it does need to move toward decentralization and there are already plans for bringing Indigo into the metaverse with education involved with that. This will help, especially if their is a reward incentive for completion in some way. The incentive would draw people to educate themselves. There are also metaverses like Cornucopia (some rumors out there that an announcement is coming about Cornucopia and Indigo) that have learn to earn built into them, so this is an option tied with NFT as you spoke of above, but this would be down the road a ways.

I do, however, think that once the protocol launches and people start to use the protocol that they will naturally want to educate themselves so they don’t wreck themselves. “Educate yourself, don’t wreck yourself”. If that is the case, there won’t be need for qualification, but at this point in time we need to see how things play out at launch and shortly after that.

5 Likes

Questions arise from this: How exclusive/inclusive do you want to be?

full agreed. it would not be so easy and where we have to find some way to go.

1 Like

education is one thing - but we can incentivize the actual gaining of education with rewards. like many replies mentioned previous, it would not be prudent to disallow participation in governance on basis of knowledge for now. even in politics, stupid people get to vote

edit: i guess in a nutshell, education can be tackled simply and separately from voting

4 Likes

Agreed - it seems undemocratic and contrary to what we can achieve with governance if barriers are put in place for voting. I totally agree that educating holders of Indy about the project and its uses and possibilities is important but also feel that preventing voting by creating fairly arbitrary fences (in the sense that we may all have different views on how high those fences might be) doesn’t seem right.

3 Likes