What are your views on ownership of the underlying asset?

Synthetic Assets are great and I am all for them but in the end, you do not have underlying ownership of said asset, no shareholder or voting rights. Most importantly, you will not receive dividends from these tokens.

Is there any possibility in the next 10 years of this being bridged somehow? Would like to know your thoughts?

15 Likes

Actually I want to know if we can have iAssets with underlaying real object. Made of stocks but working on blockchain.

1 Like

Thanks for the question.

iAssets don’t replace the need for ownership of an underlying asset. They hold unique benefits. If an asset gives special privileges such as voting or staking rights then those privileges can’t be replicated via an iAsset. The only way for you to gain those privileges is to own the asset itself and follow the rules and restrictions that asset has in place.

An iAsset gives you exposure to an asset without the need to own it. It allows you to do things conceptually with an asset that wouldn’t be possible with the asset itself.

In regards to dividends, this is something we’ve thought about. We have some ideas internally we’re working on but haven’t created any formal plans or solutions. It may be possible in the future to use an iAsset to capture value from cash producing assets. There are many factors though to consider. So at launch, no. Possibility in the next 10 years, yes.

24 Likes

It’s a possibility to use a real asset to mint an iAsset. An example could be to transfer BTC from the Bitcoin blockchain and locking it into anetaBTC on Cardano. Then taking anetaBTC and borrowing iBTC against it. This is something we’re considering but haven’t formalized yet.

14 Likes

I was wondering about the same thing. Thanks for the post.

1 Like

i do not think you need to own a stock asset.my point is you can do far more with the synthetics, especially now we have defi.

2 Likes

You’ll have a great challenge to implement the dividends distribution, I hope you can in the future find a solution for this distribution to occur.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

The ability of any asset that has dividends or income to be reflected in the iAsset once it is “collateralized” would be a key feature in expanding iAsset adoption into numerous asset classes.

1 Like

maybe someday we can move all of the stock market into blockchain :smile:

1 Like

That would be amazing if we could!

1 Like

We are not quite sure how much potential there is in synthetic assets. Could someone please explain that to me?

2 Likes

You could do delta strategies a lot easier with synthetics I think.

3 Likes

I think it’s great to actually owning the asset but let’s be real, in some markets who owns what. I think this this is a good way to get market exposure without jumping through financial hoops.

1 Like

The dividend payment is an interesting idea. Would the iAsset would need an additional utility for another source of cash flow for this to work?

1 Like

I like the sound of an AnetaBTC collab with Indigo, more use cases for both protocols on Cardano

1 Like

Well bridging assets from other blockchains is already possible theough wrapped tokens. So if you want to own underlying asset say BTC, you can but wrapped BTC instead of minting iBTC. But I think synthetic asseta have a different economic structure and investment oppurtunities.

1 Like

now this sounds awesome

2 Likes

The closest thing I can think of is trading your synthetic for the real version of it.

1 Like

Call me stupid but what exactly does"exposure"mean. What is the value of an iasset? What can you do with an iasset that you can’t do with the "real"asset? Are synthetic and fake synonyms?

1 Like

Well I don’t know what can happen in 10 years but as far as ownership is concerned let’s say you want to buy Tesla stop. Now if you don’t live on USA or not a High networth person who has different avenues to invest in different markets, how many normal people will be able to buy it. If the trade of is that I will be able to invest in them but won’t have ownership or won’t get dividends, I will take it. That’s what synthetics are all about. Bringing you the assets which you normally won’t have the reach to.

1 Like