Please explain to me why ibtc is not the same price as btc

Please explain to me why ibtc is not the same price as btc (on all available exchanges).
As of writing there is almost a $1000 difference in price.

1 Like

The price is the same as in centralized exchanges. The price difference I suppose you are mentioning is in different cardanos dex (minswap/wing riders/etc).

In order to mint iBTC at indigo, someone needs to provide a 110% of collateral. Therefore, it is expected they might want to sell it for a price slightly higher than the current BTC price (as they are in risk of losing all their collateral in the case of a liquidation). At the dex side, what drive the prices is supply/demand. The liquidity (supply) is still low. So, a small amount of ADA is sufficient to increase iBTC price (or any other iAsset). Usually, iBTC is around 3-5% higher than minting price. However, because of the price fluctuations happening lately, we might see it at 8-10% greater than current BTC price during the high volatile periods.

The key point here is, the iBTC minting price is pegged to the BTC price (which is good). However, the iBTC price at dex is a different thing.

1 Like